Friday, May 24, 2013

9 Month Report

Wow, my last report. It still feels unreal that in just 17 days I will be on a plane going home. It's simply hard to think about! I'm trying to view returning home as the start of a brand new adventure. New challenges, new goals, a new start. I know I will miss Taiwan very much, but I am also excited to re enter "reality". At the beginning of this year living in Kinmen just felt like a dream. I always thought that when I returned to America it would be like waking up to the real world. I now find, after living here for 9 months, that is the complete opposite. I have adapted so completely to life here that my old life now feels like the dream world and here, my reality.
This month went by extremely fast. I went back and forth to Taipei so much and became so busy, that for awhile I actually forgot that June has almost arrived. During the middle of the year I felt that time really went by slowly, but now it's starting to speed up. My parents came early this month, I had my mandarin speech competition, and I had the Southern Taiwan bus trip. For the speech competition we all had to just get up and speak for about 2 minutes. Speaking in front of people is definitely not one of my strengths and speaking mandarin in front of a bunch of Rotarians and Rotex was really scary for me. ( I was also the last one scheduled to go!) so the speech was my big challenge this month. But I'm happy I got through it and I think it really helped me with my public speaking. This month we also had the bus trip. We went to Kenting, Kaohsiung, and Tainan. It was such a fun trip with a bittersweet ending. I had to say goodbye to many of the other exchange students. Although I only saw them once a month, it was still extremely hard to say goodbye. This month I also "graduated" from Chinese cooking school, and my Chinese language class. This was also really sad because it meant more goodbyes would be coming. This is definitely the hardest part of being an exchange student.
Soon I will say goodbye to the ones who I have grown so close to during my exchange year. But I will take with me all the moments and friendships that truly made an impact on my life.

No comments: