Friday, May 9, 2008

The Lourve.

Today we visited the Lourve. The Lourve is a museum in Paris that holds the Mona Lisa and many other interesting and beautiful paintings and sculptures. My favorite piece at the Lourve was a sculpture by Antonio Canove which he called Psyche raminmee par le baiser de l'amour. This sculpture shows an angle holding a women nad leaning down on her. The womn looks to me like she is either in pain and the angel is saving her, or she is in love with the angel. The angel is actually supposed to resemble cupid and thats why I thought she might be in love. Antonio Canova was born in 1757 and started this sculpture in 1782. The first copy of the Psyche raminee par le baiser de I'amour was first donated to the Louvre in1802 by Joachim Murat. I liked this sculpture because I felt like not only is it beautiful but every single detail means something like the expressions on the faces and how there positioned. I also think that this sculpture had emotion in it, like for a while you would think that the women is crying and the angel is trying to comfort her. What it really is supposed to be is a psyche lying on the ground and she is awakenend by cupids kiss. After we left we all looked forward to the rest of the lourve.

No comments: